Mohiniattam Costumes - Plain Kasavu will always be my most favourite - Dr Sunanda Nair - 2018


Mohiniattam Costumes - Plain Kasavu will always be my most favourite - Dr Sunanda Nair 
Founder Director at Sunanda's Performing Arts Center - SPARC


Came across these pictures today and remembered my thirty three years of taking my first baby steps into the field of dancing Mohiniattam (in the professional scene). That was a time I remember, I dint have much of a choice with kasavu costumes and Kanak Ma'am wore silk costumes with gold and red borders and matched them with red, yellow or gold blouses.



I watched Bharati Shivaji Ma'am also who carried off her kasavu costume royally, and of course Deepti Omcherry Bhalla, who looked elegant in her kasavu costume and does so till this day. I think it was the fresh young enthusiasm and zeal that made me look for more color options and brought in all these color combinations in the late 80's.


Today when I see the choices we have and colours used in our Mohini Attam costuming am glad I had kept my baby steps there too in bringing in colors to the Mohiniattam costuming. It was more for convenience that I chose Kanjivaram sarees, easier to maintain during tours and back to back performances.Though my love for plain kasavu will always be my most favourite.
************



Contribute and help us in the service of Indian Classical Arts. For more information please message HERE


PRIYALASYA - KUCHIPUDI ARTIST SPACE - YELESWARAPU SARVAANI 
Kuchipudi Artiste - Yeleswarapu Sarvaani

  PriyaLasya, (C), Do Not Copy, Copyrights Acknowledged, Worldwide Indian Classical Dance Initiative

No comments:

Post a Comment